Reshade for Vulkan
A guide to get Reshade working in RDR2 under Vulkan. Including a preset I made.
My first ever mod for a game. Well, actually it’s more a manual on how to get Reshade working in RDR2 under Vulkan.
I tweaked a lot to get a preset I did like myself and that is the download/mod. See the screenshots. Some effects are minimal but overall it enhances the graphics.
I have to say though that I really have no idea if it effects the game with FPS drops. I have an Intel i9 9900K with an MSI RTX 2018 ti and it works great on that. I am not so much an FPS guy as well going for the looks.
So here the manual.
There are some things you need to download first.
- Of course the latest graphics drivers. I have the latest NVidia 441.41 version of that.
- A modified version of the latest ReShade made by mLgz0rn. This version does makes Vulkan Reshade work. Don’t know who he did it but it works.
- Info and download on github.com/mLgz0rn/reshade/releases
- This file can be flagged as unsafe but it is a false-positive, it is totally safe to use.
- This download is not required but I use it in my settings and it makes for great eye-candy. It’s a set of extra shaders for ReShade.
- It’s called qUINT and it’s made by martymcmodding. Info and download on github.com/martymcmodding/qUINT
- The preset I made for download here called Reshade_Vulkan.ini. Again, not required but it can be used as a baseline … but of course also because it looks beautiful
The install steps:
- If RDR2 is set to DirectX 12: run RDR2 and set it to Vulkan and stop RDR2.
- Place the Reshade_Vulkan.ini file in your game directory there where RDR2.exe is.
- Install the ReShade.Setup.exe, select RDR2.exe, then select Vulkan below that. Then do a download of all the offered shaders *exept* the MXAO.fx. This one conflicts with the qUINT MXAO below. You don’t need them all but it is fun to have and play with them if you want.
- Then click on the Edit Reshade Settings, open the Preset part and point it towards the Reshade_Vulkan.ini file you placed in the main RDR2 directory.
- Open the qUINT-master.zip file and place all the files from the Shaders map into the “reshade-shaders”- directory that was created by the ReShade setup in your RDR2 directory.
And that’s it, RDR2 will can now use ReShade with Vulkan. When run, my Reshade_Vulkan preset will be loaded. Initially the normal key for the ReShade settings is the Home button but you can change that in the settings. I myself have the / key for the settings and the * key to toggle the effect On or Off.
The qUINT MXAO shader can give sometimes a bit weird result in heavy fog or when looking directly into the sun.
If you don’t want to use this all anymore, do the following to remove it all.
- In your main RDR2 directory, remove the “reshade-shaders”-directory and these files: ReShade.ini and Vulkan_Reshade.ini
- In C:\Users\\AppData\Local, remove the ReShade directory.